In this article you can find out how to configure OpenVPN on your Windows device using the VPN user name and password you received from us. OpenVPN is a VPN client i.e. a program that allows you to connect to a VPN server.
OpenVPN: Windows 10
- Download the OpenVPN software from openvpn.net. Download the latest Windows installer (file that ends with .exe).
- Locate this .exe file in your Downloads folder and double click to install OpenVPN. Make sure to allow the TAP drivers to install when you receive the pop-up later on during the installation.
- Download the OpenVPN configuration files located at the bottom of this article (file called vpn_configuration.zip).
- Open the location you saved the vpn_configuration.zip file and extract it (right click on the file, select "Extract All" and follow the instructions).
- Once the files are extracted, you will have a folder which will contain a .crt certificate file and multiple .ovpn files. Files ending with .ovpn contain the connection details for each server. The name of the city where the server is located is shown in the .ovpn file name.
- Choose up to 50 .ovpn server files (pick the locations you wish to connect to) and the .crt certificate file and copy them to your OpenVPN config folder at (C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config). OpenVPN cannot handle more than 50 files.
- Run OpenVPN as Administrator by right clicking the OpenVPN shortcut (found either on your desktop or the start menu) and clicking 'Run as administrator'.
- Right click the OpenVPN status icon on the bottom right of your taskbar to open the OpenVPN menu.
- Choose and connect to a server by hovering over the server and clicking the connect option that appears in the menu to the right.
- Enter your VPN username and password when prompted and click OK.
- You should now be connected.
OpenVPN: Windows 8
The set up procedure is the same as above with the only difference being that in step 6 the OpenVPN config folder is located at:
- C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config on 32 bit systems
- C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config on 64 bit systems.
You can find similar instructions with images from IPVanish here.
The main difference is that you use the vpn_configurations.zip from our page instead of their config.zip.