Important Note: You should only flash VPN credentials that match the InvizBox 2 you purchased. VPN credentials from any other provider will not work. If you are not sure and purchased directly from our site, you most likely have an InvizBox VPN account.
When should I be flashing VPN credentials with this method
You may want to flash VPN credentials your InvizBox 2 permanently for the following reasons:
- you are giving your InvizBox 2 away and want to remove your VPN credentials from permanent memory
There is no need to flash your VPN credentials to your InvizBox 2 if you are in the following situations:
- you purchased an InvizBox 2 which is compatible with a specific VPN vendor and want to set up your credentials. To do this, just access the Administration Interface and during Onboarding, you will be prompted for your credentials. If that didn't happen, just edit the credentials in the System- VPN account part of the Administration Interface.
- you have a new set of credentials and want them to be persisted during a firmware flash or a reset. In this case, as soon as the credentials you entered (System - VPN Account) are successful in getting you logged in to the VPN service, they will be persisted and replace the previous ones permanently.
Flash VPN credentials to permanent memory
You will need a USB stick to flash new VPN credentials to permanent memory.
Here are the steps to flash new VPN credentials to permanent memory.:
- Create a new file on your USB stick named vpn_credentials.txt
- Open that file in a text editor and write your VPN credentials in it - on the first line. The first line would look like this: my_username my_password (for example, if you use InvizBox VPN, your username will end in @invizbox)
- Save your file and eject your USB
- Power your Invizbox 2 and wait for it to finish the boot sequence (initial red and green sequence on the Internet LED (globe in the middle)
- Insert the USB key into the USB port at the back of your InvizBox 2
- To acknowledge that it has read and flashed the new VPN credentials, the Info LED (letter "i" on the left) on your InvizBox 2 will flash on and off twice. If this is not the case, check the name of your file.
- You can now remove your USB key. If you were to check the key content, the VPN credentials have been moved from your original vpn_credentials.txt file to a new file called written_vpn_credentials.txt
- Important: If you want to start using these VPN credentials, you will also need to reset your InvizBox 2 (see How do I reset my InvizBox 2). If you do not reset your InvizBox 2, the new VPN credentials will come into play the next time you do so.